19 December, 2011

Recycle, Reduce, Reuse


Portland is known for its "green" initiatives.  July of this year our city passed a law banning all plastic bags.  You will only find paper bags in our city's stores (though I was at the dollar tree the other day and they gave me plastic, oh what?).  My verdict is still out on whether I agree or not I agree with this law.  I mean, what about all the trees?  So anyways, I try to be a good citizen and carry my reusable bags with me everywhere I go...I try.  But somehow, I have acquired a TON of paper bags, they are taking over one of my cabinets.  So, I have decided to take the advise my grandmother who brainwashed me as a small child.  Recycle, reduce, reuse.  I am reusing my paper bags in the form of wrapping paper!  I am not only saving the planet, I am saving my wallet.

Here is my earth friendly, money saving, gift wrapping method
1. I cut down one side of the bag, cut out the bottom and voila, wrapping paper!  Luckily, I only had about two large gifts that required more than one shopping bag.
2. You will need some pretties, twine, ribbon, etc. I went to Michael's craft store and bought ribbon for 60% off.  Another wallet saver, booya!

Wrapping paper and ribbon in hand, the hard part begins. Wrapping the gifts. it is especially difficult when you don't have an extra finger to hold down the ribbon.  My good friend, Heidi, taught me a valuable wrapping trick for those you don't have a third hand.

Ribbon Trick
1. Cut a piece of ribbon about 5x the length of your package. Place the middle of the ribbon across the front side of the package.
2.Pull the sides of the ribbon around the backside of the package and twist the ribbon and pull towards the adjacent side of the package.
3.Pull the slack of the ribbon towards the front side of the package.  And put one end of the ribbon underneath the front ribbon.
4.Pull the other end of the ribbon underneath the front ribbon so both ends are tucked under the front ribbon.
5. Pull ends tight and make a knot!
6. Make your pretty bow!
Eazy-peezy, right?  Wrapping for one!

I think wrapping presents is like child birth.  It is extremely painful and laborious but after it is over you're proud of what you have done! So they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What did you think?